03 September 2011

Carrot Soup




Apparently I am destined to be a food blogger, whether that was my original intention or not. It is what it is, as I am fond of saying. So...cold carrot soup.

I really wish I could find the recipe that inspired this soup, but it's mine now, so fuck it. So here's what I do. I sautee a couple chopped leeks in olive oil, with a bit of fresh-ground pepper and some curry powder. Meantime I prepare two-plus pounds of carrots and a few jalapenos. I throw these into the sautee with just enough water to cover all the veggies. After roughly twenty minutes of simmering (are the carrots soft enough?), I puree the soup, add a cup of orange juice (grapefruit juice might make an interesting alternative), and put the mix in the fridge. Hours later, I will put together some vegan sour cream (soft tofu, rice vinegar, canola oil, and jalapeno peppers) and serve this with the soup and fresh cilantro.

Carrots, curry, and orange juice? I thought it was bizarre too, when I read the recipe. It fucking rocks.



No comments:

Post a Comment