16 July 2010

Short Sands


Today, my first full day back east, my sister and brother-in-law were generous enough to cart us all to the beach. My joy probably exceeded even that of my five-year-old nephew and three-year-old niece.


We went to Short Sands, the northernmost of York's three beaches and the favorite of all of us. The wind blew briskly but the sun emerged from behind the clouds and the temperature hovered in the 80s. I wish I could say the same for the water, which I would guess was a touch below 70. I ran up and down the sand, finding some gorgeous pieces of sea glass, including a striking piece that was almost teal, a color I have never seen before.


Eventually I ended up in the water, wading out with my niece on my hip and my nephew holding my hand. We wave-jumped for twenty minutes, getting soaked in the process, shouting repeatedly in exhilaration.


I exalt in the water; I always have, and I always will. The BF calls it my natural element, and he's right -- even when it's that cold.


Afterward, we had dinner at the Goldenrod and bought tacky souvenirs. I now sport a shark's tooth necklace and an aqua York Beach sweatshirt. Oh, the sun and the sand and the salt, the cheap grilled cheese sandwiches, the overpriced trinkets that you treasure nonetheless.


I am briny and happy and exhausted.


I could not imagine a better day.



No comments:

Post a Comment